Alan Alda story about Groucho on Craig Ferguson Show a few weeks back
George Kincaid
2005-04-10 02:24:02 UTC
Alda gave an interview before the Oscars a few weeks back. He told a story
about being in a restaurant in LA at the height of his MASH fame in the
1970s. Alda had always been a Marx Bros. fan. As he was having lunch, a
man's voice kept shouting "Hey, MASH guy!" . Finally in frustration Alda
stood up to tell the guy off, and came face to face with Groucho--a huge
MASH fan. Alda says it was one of the great moments of his life. Nice to
think even Groucho was somebody else's fan.
Rob Petrie
2005-04-10 02:45:01 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by George Kincaid
Alda gave an interview before the Oscars a few weeks back. He told a story
about being in a restaurant in LA at the height of his MASH fame in the
1970s. Alda had always been a Marx Bros. fan. As he was having lunch, a
man's voice kept shouting "Hey, MASH guy!" . Finally in frustration Alda
stood up to tell the guy off, and came face to face with Groucho--a huge
MASH fan. Alda says it was one of the great moments of his life. Nice to
think even Groucho was somebody else's fan.
Alan didn't immediately recognize that inimitable voice with he such a
big Groucho fan?
Now, THAT's funny!
Alan does so many Groucho bits in his M*A*S*H episodes sometimes I
think it is Groucho acting as Hawkeye.
George Kincaid
2005-04-10 02:53:59 UTC
The fact that Alda didn't recognize Groucho's voice did come up in
conversation. Ferguson asked Alda about that, and Alda said he had been
harassed so much his anger got the best of him. Yeah, that is funny! Hawkeye
ran around as Groucho several times. I do remember a Groucho face gag in
one episode.
Post by Rob Petrie
x-no-archive: yes
Gregory Hernandez
Roger the Saurus
2005-04-10 08:17:54 UTC
Alan does so many Groucho bits in his M*A*S*H episodes sometimes I think
it is Groucho acting as Hawkeye.
Yet in Woody Allen's "Everyone says I love you" he's reduced to a neurotic
straight man. Meanwhile Woody Allen gets to do a poor Groucho impression. A
severe case of role reversal, methinks.
--
Roger the Saurus
(remove bollix to reply)
Arnie Bernstein
2005-04-17 10:02:22 UTC
Post by Roger the Saurus
severe case of role reversal, methinks.
Throughout "Everyone Says I Love You," all I could think was "the REAL
(REEL?) Marx Brothers cut these pretentious asses to ribbons"
George Kincaid
Gregory Hernandez
2005-04-21 05:06:27 UTC
Has anyone ever seen a movie called Brain Donors with Jeffrey Tambor and (I
think) John Turturro? It's obviously an attempt at doing a modern Marx
Brothers movie. I'll leave it to others to discuss whether it succeeded or
not.
GRH
Gregory Hernandez
2005-04-21 05:17:35 UTC
Well, this might explain why the movie reminded me about the Marx Brothers.
It was written by George S. Kaufman (A Night At The Opera, Cocoanuts).
With a writing credit as recent as 2000, good to see he was productive even
though he'd been dead for forty years!

GRH

GRH
Derek Gee
2005-04-24 18:18:33 UTC
Post by Gregory Hernandez
Has anyone ever seen a movie called Brain Donors with Jeffrey Tambor and
(I think) John Turturro? It's obviously an attempt at doing a modern Marx
Brothers movie. I'll leave it to others to discuss whether it succeeded
or not.
GRH
Wasn't that a remake of "A Night at the Opera"? And no, it didn't succeed.

Derek