Remembering Groucho 2013
Pete The Upstart
2013-08-19 22:03:02 UTC
"I did a bond tour during the Second World War... We were raising money, and we played Boston and Philadelphia and most of the big cities. And we got to Minneapolis. There wasn't any big theater to play there, so we did our show in a railroad station. Then I told the audience that I knew a girl in Minneapolis. She was also known in St.Paul, she used to come over to visit me. She was known as 'The Tail Of Two Cities'. I didn't sell any more bonds, but eh... they didn't allow me to appear anymore."

Recounting a War Bonds tour in his Carnegie Hall appearance (6 May 1972)

(Source: Wiki Quotes)

Please add your random Groucho quote. Thanks!
Dana Schwartz
2013-08-25 03:13:02 UTC
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:03:02 -0700 (PDT), Pete The Upstart
Post by Pete The Upstart
"I did a bond tour during the Second World War... We were raising money, and we played Boston and Philadelphia and most of the big cities. And we got to Minneapolis. There wasn't any big theater to play there, so we did our show in a railroad station. Then I told the audience that I knew a girl in Minneapolis. She was also known in St.Paul, she used to come over to visit me. She was known as 'The Tail Of Two Cities'. I didn't sell any more bonds, but eh... they didn't allow me to appear anymore."
Recounting a War Bonds tour in his Carnegie Hall appearance (6 May 1972)
(Source: Wiki Quotes)
Please add your random Groucho quote. Thanks!
I read in the newspaper they are going to have 30 minutes of
intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8:00 to
educate America.

They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30.

(Source: Brainyquote.com)

If Groucho said that today I wonder how much earlier he'd set that
clock back. :-)

[Hi, Pete. I think this newsgroup echoes now!]

Dana Schwartz
Pete The Upstart
2013-08-28 04:07:01 UTC
Post by Dana Schwartz
Post by Pete The Upstart
Please add your random Groucho quote. Thanks!
I read in the newspaper they are going to have 30 minutes of
intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8:00 to
educate America.
They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30.
(Source: Brainyquote.com)
If Groucho said that today I wonder how much earlier he'd set that
clock back. :-)
[Hi, Pete. I think this newsgroup echoes now!]
Dana Schwartz
Dana

6:30 (yesterday) :-)
Thanks.
cruciverbalist
2013-08-27 00:39:50 UTC
Post by Pete The Upstart
"I did a bond tour during the Second World War... We were raising money, and we played Boston and Philadelphia and most of the big cities. And we got to Minneapolis. There wasn't any big theater to play there, so we did our show in a railroad station. Then I told the audience that I knew a girl in Minneapolis. She was also known in St.Paul, she used to come over to visit me. She was known as 'The Tail Of Two Cities'. I didn't sell any more bonds, but eh... they didn't allow me to appear anymore."
Excellent! I hadn't heard that story before.
Post by Pete The Upstart
Please add your random Groucho quote. Thanks!
My favorite is still from Duck Soup (I believe): Will you marry me?
Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

Jack
Pete The Upstart
2013-08-28 04:12:45 UTC
Post by Pete The Upstart
Please add your random Groucho quote. Thanks!
My favorite is still from Duck Soup (I believe): Will you marry me?
Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.
Jack
Yes, that's a good one and it is from Duck Soup. Thanks.